Monday, September 21, 2009

Recital wrap-up 9/20/09

Whenever I watch my students perform, I try to listen with a neutral ear so I can give honest feedback if it's requested. Still, every once in a while I can't help but wonder if my reaction will be more like the mom in Bride and Prejudice during the "Cobra Dance":



Okay, I'm probably not quite that bad! But I definitely feel a sense of pride for my students and the work that they've put into their performances. Last night that feeling was especially warranted as Achil Jackson gave an impressive solo voice and composition recital. For the 45-minute program, she prepared 14 songs, including one solo and three ensemble pieces of her own composition. Jeremiah Oliver accompanied as Achil sang her way through a variety of musical genres and styles, with songs themed around the sun, moon and stars. Fellow students Arlene Havlark and Barbara Leigh lent their voices to the recital for the duet and trios that Achil had composed, and the three blended beautifully on the final two a cappella pieces.

Congratulations to Achil on an outstanding achievement, and thanks to everyone who participated and attended!


(And yes, this post was an awesome excuse to share that clip.)

No comments:

Post a Comment