Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Is It Over Yet?

I've always found that the perceived length of an opera is directly proportional to my level of interest in it; looks like Anthony Tommasini feels the same way. His article on the perception of time in opera is a fun read. He also seems to be trying to send a message to John Adams and Peter Sellars. I have to confess that I stopped watching the broadcast of their most recent work, Doctor Atomic, less than halfway through because I found the dramatic momentum so lacking as to be stagnant. I know I'll give it another chance at some point (and I LOVED the many-storied set piece for the chorus), but I agree wholeheartedly with Tommasini's last thought:

...a similarly gifted composer working in musical theater, especially during the glory days of yore, would have had directors and producers standing around during rehearsals shouting at him: “That song for the girl is too long. You gotta cut it by half!”

Mozart and Verdi had to deal with such people. And their operas are the better for it.


Music
Published: August 25, 2009
The perception of time in music can be very subjective, and this is especially true in opera.

No comments:

Post a Comment