Thursday, March 26, 2009

Allergy Remedies for Singers

Even though it doesn't feel like spring yet, I'm seeing lots of students who are experiencing moderate to severe allergies. As annoying and debilitating as they can be, the reality is that most of us will have to perform at some time or another when we are feeling the effects of allergies. Here, then, are some of my favorite home and over-the-counter remedies that may help alleviate your allergic congestion and sinus pain.

**Please note that these are observations based on my own experience and are not a substitute for professional medical advice. I recommend that you visit your primary care physician before embarking on a treatment plan, and always check to make sure that the remedy you choose does not conflict with any of your current medications.

Home Remedies
As gross as some may find them, neti pots are incredibly useful in relieving nasal congestion and sinus pain. Neti pots are used to pour a saline solution through one nostril and out the other; the stream of water washes away allergens and other irritants in the nasal passages. Neti pots have become more mainstream in the past few years and you can now find them at most drugstores, as well as PCC and naturopathic pharmacies.

Warm compresses are helpful in relieving sinus pressure. Simply rinse a washcloth in warm/hot water (depending on your comfort level), wring it out, fold in half or thirds and lay it over your eyes and cheeks. Repeat as needed.

I occasionally use acupressure points to relieve headaches resulting from sinus congestion. Here is an interesting article on acupressure if you'd like to try it yourself.

Exercise can also help - it takes your mind off the pain, gets the blood flowing to different parts of your body, and makes you drink more water.

Over-the-counter remedies:
I try to avoid antihistamines and decongestants as much as possible because they tend to dry out my throat and mouth. If I'm desperate and DON'T have to sing, I'll take Tylenol Severe Sinus. But if I know I'm going to be singing then I just stick to my other remedies. I've learned the hard way that the side effects of OTC sinus medications make it much harder to sing well, and I'd rather sing with a congested nose than a dry throat anyday.

If you've been sneezing or have a sore throat from post-nasal drip, ibuprofen can help to reduce inflammation. I try to avoid taking ibuprofen, but when I need it, I take 2 caplets 20-30 minutes before I need to sing so it has time to work.

One homeopathic OTC remedy that I've had success with is a product called Sinusalia. It relieves sinus congestion pretty well, but didn't help with my sinus headache.

I find green tea to be helpful in relieving sinus congestion and pain. I know lots of singers who use lemon tea with honey when they have a sore throat from post-nasal drip. You could also try Throat Coat from Traditional Medicinals - it contains slippery elm, which coats the throat (hence the name). And of course, drink lots of water.

Lozenges can help soothe a scratchy throat and if you get one with menthol it can help you breathe more easily. My favorites are Vocalzone (don't taste the best but they work like a dream) and Ricola (any flavor will soothe the throat, but I usually go for the sugar-free Lemon Mint).

I find that being in good health overall seems to lessen my allergy symptoms. I take a multi-vitamin every day which keeps my immune system up and running. When I start to drag, I use Emergen-C for an energy boost.

Prescription:
If you experience severe allergy symptoms (to the point where you're unable to sing) for more than a few days, it's probably time to visit your doctor to determine the cause and find a solution.


Other resources:
The Mayo Clinic website has some great articles about allergies and sinus problems.
Voice teacher Peter Van Derick's
emergency tips for singers.

1 comment:

  1. My name is Nitin from Toronto. I am interested in your writing. Some of your posting are good, I can say, best. Can you please tell me how to subscribe to your blog post online?

    ReplyDelete